Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Firelands Nerfs Make Me Sad

So Firelands got nerfed today, and I'm kind of torn about it. On one hand I'm glad to be done with the struggles and the stupid 20% wipes. With these nerfs what would of been a wipe is now a kill. Hell, I don't even think we'll see Majordomo's orb phase. So for that I'm glad. The part I'm not so glad about is that these nerfs kind of invalidate all the work we've been doing these past months.

My guild, a guild fairly new to the raid game (although I am not), only managed 6/7 before these nerfs went live. Now these nerfs essentially make a lot of the bosses we struggled on a complete joke. Apparently 6/7 is puggable now, which is our exact progression. I'm not going to feel so great saying "currently 6/7 Firelands!" in our recruiting spam anymore, because now every pug group that doesn't completely suck balls is going to be able to achieve the same results.

This kind of reminds me of a story I heard on NPR. Yes, I do occasionally listen to NPR depending on my mood. It basically said that people like to feel that there is someone out there in the world who has it worse off than they do, so they can feel better about themselves, and this has some strange repercussions. For example, you'd think everyone would favor increasing the minimum wage, but people who earn just above minimum wage don't, because they would have no one to look down upon.

That's kind of what's happening here. My guild has essentially been brought down to the level of a glorified pug with one fell swoop of Blizzard's nerfbat, and now I'm left without anyone to look down upon. It isn't a good feeling. Now we haven't started to raid this week, and I certainly expect a rag kill in our very near future, so this is only a temporary thing, but still...in the meantime...it sucks.

But I have to take the good with the bad. I look forward to steamrolling 6/7 in a single night then moving onto rag and ultimately defeating him. It will feel good to finish off this tier although it's not in the way I really wanted to. Now I will always have the raiders in other more progressed guilds telling me stories about how easy I have it and how hard these fights used to be, but you know what? That's life. They most likely have similar friends telling them similar stories. There will always be a bigger nerd.

As one last thought my last two posts have been concerning nerfs. Pretty depressing stuff here. For my next post I'm going to discuss some nifty addons. I feel there are certain addons, such as DBM, Recount, and Titan Panel, that everyone knows about thus don't warrant additional discussion, so I'm going to try to shed some light on some smaller addons (in both exposure and file size) that make me think "damn, how in the hell did I live without this?"

No comments:

Post a Comment